Date Plan made: 20 January 2012 Researcher: Linda Newman
1. To discover Sarah’s date and place of birth
2. To discover Sarah’s date and place of marriage
3. To discover names, birth dates and birth places of any children Sarah gave birth to.
4. To discover names of Peter Burke’s (Sarah’s husband) parents
Known Facts (with sources):
1. Sarah first appears on 1850 census Philadelphia with parents John and Sarah Antrim. It says she is 7 birthplace New York.
2. Sarah appears on the 1860 census Philadelphia with parents John and Sarah Antrim it says she is 16 birthplace Pennsylvania (all birthplaces are listed as Pennsylvania in this census which I know is incorrect)
3. Sarah appears on the 1870 census with husband Peter Burk age 30, surgical instrument maker. It says she is 20, birthplace New York. 2 children George, age 3, and Francis, age 1, both children born in Pennsylvania
4. Sarah appears on the 1880 census in Philadelphia with husband Peter Burk age 45 surgical instrument maker. It says she is 30, birthplace Pennsylvania. 3 children: George, age 14, Francis, age 12, William, age 8, Mary, age 5. All 4 children born in Pennsylvania
5. Sarah appears on the 1900 census in Philadelphia with husband Peter Burke age 50, born May 1850. It says she was 45, born May 1855, birthplace New York. They had been married 33 years. She was mother of 4 children with 4 still living. In the household were her sons George M, age 30 born May 1870, and Francis I, age 28 born Mch1872. Both born in Pennsylvania and both book-binders.
6. Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates
Name: Sarah Burke; Death date: 23 May 1909; Death place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Gender: Female; Race or color (on document): W; Age at death: About 63 years; Estimated birth year: 1846; Birth date: not listed; Birthplace: Phila., Pa; Marital status: Married; Spouse's name: not listed; Father's name: John Antrim; Father's birthplace: N.J.; Mother's name: Sarah; Mother's birthplace: U.S.A Occupation: K R; Street address: 2418 S. 16TH; Residence: PHILA., PA; Cemetery name: Cathedral; Burial place: Phila., Pa; Burial date: 26 May 1909; Additional relatives: none listed
7. Obit Date: 1909-05-24; Paper: Philadelphia Inquirer on 23 May 1909, Sarah wife of Peter Burke. Late residence 2418 S16th St. Services at Church of St Monica 17th and Ritner sts. Internment Cathedral Cemetery.
8. In the matter of Sarah Antrim Widow of John Antrim Co. H 109th Pa Vols Claim no 329325. General Affidavit dated 5 February 1886: Sarah Burke, age 42, address 1906 South 6th Street, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9. Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates - Peter F. Burke; Death Date: 13 Feb 1915; Death Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Father's Name: Martin Burke; Father's Birthplace: Ireland; Mother's Name: Bridget; Mother’s Birthplace: Ireland; Place of Burial: Cathedral Cemetery; Burial date: 17 Feb 1915. Information given by his daughter.
1. Daughter of John Antrim and Sarah Downey. Sister to Thomas Mason Antrim, John E Antrim, Anna Louisa Antrim, George W Antrim, Emma Antrim, and Kate Antrim.
2. Born possibly May 1845 (+/- 2 yrs) in New York.
3. Wife of Peter Burke, married about 1866-67, best guess would be married in Philadelphia.
4. Mother to: George born abt 1867, Francis born abt 1869, William born abt 1872 and Mary born abt 1875, all born in Pennsylvania, and probably all in Philadelphia.
5. Sarah died 23 May 1909 in Philadelphia. Funeral Service was held at Church of St Monica on 17th and Ritner sts. Burial at Cathedral Cemetery. St Monica’s is a Roman Catholic Church. It was founded 1895.
Research Strategies (specific records to check):
1. Search New York 1843-1847 for possible birth records, then broaden search to NJ and Pennsylvania.
2. Search for christening/baptism records for Sarah, possibly converted to Catholicism at her marriage to Peter Burke.
3. Search for marriage records in and around Philadelphia 1884-1886
4. Search for birth records for George born abt 1867, Francis born abt 1869, William born abt 1872 and Mary born abt 1875 probably in Philadelphia.
5. Verify that Peter’s parents are Martin Burke, and Bridget (maiden name unknown).
Marriage is not on Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1916 as either Peter Burke or Peter Burk marrying someone with the last name of Antrim. So, either the marriage was 1884 or before, or happened somewhere besides Philadelphia.